Monday, March 5, 2012

Remodel 2012 :: nothing like a little reassurance

I am sure most of you have heard of Houzz.
It rocks.

I love getting the latest Houzz e-mail with tips, tricks, and amazing images.
The other day I was glancing through the e-mail and noticed the title:


First of all, if you know me and have been following Peace of Home long enough,
you know that I have a very classic, traditional style. With a dash of modern or vintage here and there.
My goal in our kitchen remodel was definitely to create a classic kitchen.
Second, we were smack dab in the middle of our remodel, I questioned whether or not to read 
their opinions thinking I might regret one of my decisions.
I was so glad that I did! It was like a big pat on the back.

Here are their 8 suggested elements:

{1}
White or Cream Cabinetry


that's definitely the plan which will be executed this weekend.
check.

{2}
Simple Architectural Details



nothing too fancy or ornate, 
but still interesting.
such as Shaker Style Cabinets, crown moulding, decorative L-Brackets,
legs on the island...
check.

{3}
Honed Black Countertops


We were seriously considering honed countertops until we learned that means they aren't sealed...
so smudges, liquids, spills can show.
o, let me just tell you, that would drive me nuts!!
I'm kinda a perfectionist about clean counters. 
So, we went with black countertops, just not honed.
I guess we get a "half check" on that one. ha

{4}
White Marble Countertops


If you prefer lighter countertops, that's a great option...
We obviously went with the dark ones.
This makes it kinda tricky to tally my score but I will accept a 
"no check"

{5}
White Subway Tile
Subway tile can range in size, the classic size is 3x6, and finish.
I chose the classic of classic.
White porcelain 3x6.
check.

{6}
Simple door styles

Nothing is more simple or classic than the Shaker Style doors our carpenter built.
check.

{7}
Neutral Palette

white cabinets, wood floors, black countertops, white backsplash, 
all combine to make a very neutral palette.
I love working with neutral palettes so I can add colors based on the seasons,
holidays, and my mood :) 
check.

{8}
Flexibility

"Classic Kitchens are chameleons: You can take the same kitchen and completely change its
look by mixing in different [elements]" 
check.

I so look forward to sharing more pictures as our remodel comes to completion.
For pictures of the progress thus far
look here here and here 


So, what's your opinion? Do you agree or disagree with this article?
Do you like classic? modern? vintage? shabby chic?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails