Thursday, October 10, 2013

square v. round

When I got home from running errands this morning, this is what I saw. 


I did a double take. Followed by a minor panic attack. I didn't realize they would begin replacing the columns today! So needless to say, I was totally taken by surprise...And sure hoped those 2x4s would do their job as temporary supports well! 


A few hours later I heard some serious banging and eagerly went out to see what was causing all the ruckus...


 TIMBER!!!!!


Let's talk about how relieved I am that I wanted square columns rather than round...not only did those round columns look dinky on this house, turns out most of them were rotten through and through!




I am just thankful we got them down before they disintegrated and our porch collapsed. ha! 

Now check out how much better, stronger, robust, proportional, every good adjective, etc. these new columns look compared to the old ones.  I can't wait to see them once they add the trim details tomorrow.  



A little word about the trim...The column on the far left was "trimmed out" and not to my liking. I think it looks too bulky. I thought about just compromising, settling, going with it since they had already finished that one... 

Then I slapped myself, remembered our motto "do it right the first time", and called our contractor. He was completely understanding and is meeting me out here in the morning to discuss what trim details I prefer.  Don't settle. I repeat. Don't settle. If you aren't happy, kindly ask them to fix it, change it, rearrange it.  Chances are, they will be happy to make you happy. 





 What a difference square verses round makes. And what a difference some REAL, proportional shutters and hinges will make, too.  Those lovely details will be added next, after the columns are completed...





No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails