Wednesday, February 10, 2010

dress those windows

Nothing creates a warmer feeling in a room than a "dressed" window. Simply adding fabric to a window can make a room much more inviting.  Even though I know this to be true, we've lived in our house nearly a year, and I am just now dressing my windows.

Last week my mom came in town to help!
  Besides spending a couple of days with her, the best part of the project was how budget friendly everything was... 

{1)We shopped fabric stores with good quality, yet inexpensive fabric.
{2}We recovered the cornice boxes that were already here when we moved in.

As I'm writing this post, I realize that taking pictures of the whole process would make this much more interesting/ helpful...thanks for your patience...I'm still learning.  I guess I was too focused on the finish line!
  If you want to know how to build/cover a cornice box look here.

{3} Mom made the curtain for the nursery.  She has great sewing skill, and I am learning, slowly but surely, from her.
{4} I found those ideal white drapes at World Market for the master bedroom and tucked them into the cornice board with a tension rod.

Ta-Da!

I loved these rooms before, but now I just can't spend enough time there.  The family room windows are stuck on the back burner until I decide on new fabric for the loveseat, but I can't help thinking how white and plain that wall of windows is without fabric to soften its appeal.

Even more, I can't believe I've lived with that white wall for so long.  I just had to live here for a bit to make that decorating decision.  I'm going on another fabric hunt this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes...

So, what do you think? How do you dress your windows?

undressed
(sorry for the dark colors-didn't realize 'til it was already uploaded)
 
dressed
the white drapes are there, 
just difficult to see due to the beautiful sunshine




 undressed
  
dressed
 


undressed
dressed
 
 this is just to show you what they coordinate with
 



Want some other great tips?  Check out what the nester has to say. I can always find great ideas there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails