Thursday, February 11, 2010

delizioso

What do you do when you don't feel like going to the store b/c it's raining buckets outside and you can't think of anything worse than dragging yourself and your little one out into the rain? 
Scavenger hunt through the fridge and the pantry!
I learned this skill from my dad whose favorite kitchen challenge is when mom says, "we have nothing in this house to eat."  From that, he'll make the most delicious concoctions!
So I started in the fridge and opted for the ground turkey, but I didn't want to use it for spaghetti, tacos, or burgers, sooo...aha! meatballs! 

Sidenote:  The word "meatball" is rather revolting...a ball of meat...hmmm 
Well, despite how it may sound, mine are going to be delicious!

So, then I call my mom, who knows everything you could know about cooking, to rack her brain for a great recipe. Alas! She has never made meatballs, but she does give me a great tip:
"Make sure they're very moist.  Nothing is worse than a dry meatball!" -thanks mom!

So, the little one goes down for his nap and I am off to finish planning dinner.  I search for "homemade meatball recipes" and what do you know, there is one for turkey meatballs, 
said with an Italian accent "Turkey Meat-a-ballas".  
I'm off to the kitchen to create this yummy masterpiece, and I'll take you along on my adventure.


Here are the ingredients you'll need, most of which are pantry staples:

  • 2 pounds ground turkey
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or blend of dried leaf oregano and basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • dash black pepper
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
**Fresh bread crumbs are not the same as dry bread crumbs**
thankfully, they're super easy to make
all you need is a few pieces of bread, a knife/blender/food processor

I started by trimming the crust...
Then, using my bread knife began shaving off 
bread crumbs
Wait, what?
I believe I forgot that we don't live in the stone age...

There, that's more like it.  
Using this little beauty made the process go by much quicker.
We're talking totally done in the time it took to trim the crust.
 

{1} Heat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil.

{2} Combine turkey, cheese, 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir or mix on low speed of a stand mixer with paddle attachment until blended.
You can use a hand mixer if you don't own a stand mixer, but just beware that the turkey mixture may get nice and stuck inside the whisks.  You can't exactly lick it out like you might cookie dough...

 


 {3} Shape into small meatballs, about 2 inches each. I used my hands, but you could use a small cookie scoop, too.  Roll the meatballs in the find dry bread crumbs to lightly coat, then arrange the turkey meatballs 
on the baking sheet and dust with the dry bread crumbs. 

{first} 
 
{second}


{third}



 {4} Bake for about 15 minutes, turning them after 8 minutes.  When they're done they'll be browned and cooked through. If you make larger meatballs, add 5 or more minutes.

{5} Pair with whole wheat pasta, pasta sauce, and something green!
{6} Smile as you and your family enjoy this delicious meal together.




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails