Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Project Week :: Monday :: Organizing

Project Week is in full swing!

Monday was a huge success, and I slept like a baby knowing all of our closets were neatly organized. The highlight of my day was showing Hubby the "before" pictures & then giving him a tour through the house of the "after". He is so encouraging and cheered after seeing each of the 6 closets.

Now it's time for your tour of our clean closets. If you so choose to judge me on the before pictures, I understand. I judged myself a lot yesterday!                           


Former Guest Room/ New Baby Nursery
::before::

::after::

                 {before}                                               {after}
Office

                        {before}                                                {after}

Hallway #1


                                    {before}                                  {after}
 Little Man's Room


                   {before}                                              {after}
                                            Hallway #2                                                                                  

(disclaimer: Hallway #3 closet was also organized, I just didn't take pics!)

Are you completely disgusted with me from those before pictures? I couldn't believe that I actually let the closets get so cluttered. I hate clutter!

Sometimes I just get used to looking at stuff the way it is...
I'm so glad it doesn't look that way anymore! In case you find yourself wanting to clean out your closets, here are some helpful tips::

{1}
Take a before picture.
It will help you appreciate all of your hard work.



{2} 
Give yourself plenty of time without distraction,
this is serious stuff. You need to be able to concentrate!

{3}
Clean everything off the shelves and out of the closet.



{4}
Clean the shelves.
Why?
because it's not like you'll clean the shelves once everything is back inside & organized. If you're like me, this process doesn't happen very often.

{5}
Create categorical groups.
For instance, one closet is categorized by candles, candle sticks, pillows, vase fillers, small decor items, large decor items, frames, and party decor/ supplies.


This allows you to add some sort of method to the madness.

{6} 
Begin placing items back onto the shelves.
If you change your mind about the placement half way through, it's ok! Try, Try, Try again.

{7}
Take note of what organizational tools you need to purchase/ find
to add the finishing touches.

Example:
Our hallway closet is categorized as shown above, but by placing candles, small decor items, & vase fillers in baskets, the closet will appear neater, and make me smile brighter each time I open the doors. I'm basket shopping on Friday :)

{8}
Look at the before picture, now at your closet. Now at the before, now back to your closet. Pat yourself on the back. Job well done!

{9}
Divide items you're getting rid of into piles of
trash/ recycle/ donate/ sell/ etc.

(those runners sure do make that pile of stuff look good)




Do you have any other organizational tips?
I'd love for you to share them in the comments section, and share links to your organization projects, too, if you have them!

sharing the progress with:
Savvy Southern Style


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails