Wednesday, December 22, 2010

:: how to :: decorate a williamsburg cone

Thanks for all of the great feedback you gave yesterday 
on my apple and boxwood Williamsburg cone!
They're a fabulous centerpiece for any time of year, but especially at Christmas!



The cone that I used was made by my Poppy for my mom and then she passed it down to me.
So, I didn't actually make my own cone form... 
but I searched the internet and found the Williamsburg Marketplace 
where you can purchase similar ones but it seems they're currently out of stock.

Since, I wasn't able to find a Wiliamsburg Cone base that was actually available online, 
Hubby and I are going to try to come up with some to sell in my Etsy store.
Let me know if you'd be interested!


Now let's get started...


{1}
The cone base is usually an iron or wood cone with the point cut off & painted green
with rows of nails inserted and each nail is approximately 2in apart.



{2}
Choose your fruit, which you'll later position onto the nails.
I chose granny smith apples, but you can use oranges, lemons, red apples, etc.


I don't usually purchase bags of apples for us to eat because I am super picky about spots,
but for this project (a) much more cost effective (b) you can turn the apples to hide the brown spots!


{3}
Begin pegging the apples onto the nails... 




 {4}
I trimmed our boxwood bushes in the front yard for the sprigs, 
but you can use holly, pine, spruce, to add beautiful color and texture!


{5}
stuff the boxwood between the apples, filling in the empty spaces


{6}
ta-da! 
A fabulous traditional centerpiece for your home. 
Perfect on a credenza, in a small nook, on your dining room table, or anywhere!.



There are many variations to this traditional centerpiece, 
which you can read about here.  The article also provides more detailed instructions.

I wasn't able to find a Wiliamsburg Cone base that I really liked online, 
Hubby and I are going to try to come up with one and I'll put them in my Etsy store!
Let me know if you'd be interested.


More images of Wiliamsburg cones.

Todd Richesin Interiors



Merry, Merry Christmas!

I'm linking up with Blue Cricket Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your sweet comments! i hope you enjoyed your time at a peace of home today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails